When coming up with this week’s Friday Fixing, I tried to think of a recipe that I have made a handful of times. Bon Appetit published a recipe for Miso Glazed Sea Bass back in 2000, which I only first tried this year but enjoyed enough to make a few times for friends.
This marinade is sweet, salty and strong, which is why it is best used with a heartier fish, like Chilean Sea Bass or Black Cod (which is a cheaper and sustainable alternative to Chilean Sea Bass).
My favorite side dish with this recipe has been Heidi Swanson’s Otsu noodles (I leave out the tofu when I am preparing it as a side dish). I like pairing something simple, and slightly vinegary and acidic with the fish, which is on the sweeter side. However, there are many side dishes which would work well. Here are a few ideas.
Happy Cooking, Pippa
Friday Fixing: Week 3
Entrée: Miso Glazed Sea Bass
- Otsu Noodles (as noted above)
- Steamed Bok Choy (cooked with a touch of sesame oil and sprinkled with white sesame seeds at the end)
- Black Forbidden Rice
- Steamed Sugar Snap Peas
- Asian Carrot Salad with Sesame Seeds
- Sautéed Spinach and Mushrooms with Garlic
- Steamed Leeks
- Stir-Fried Garlic Chives with Chile