So before you start to think that I've been shaving brussels sprouts all day, I will tell you that I happily purchased the "Cruciferous Crunch Collection" from Trader Joe's. It's a mixture of brussels sprouts, kale, cabbage and broccoli that is ready to eat. So easy!
My husband adores pomegranates (I think that it reminds him of our trip to Turkey a few years ago). I have been promising to make him a salad that incorporates pomegranate all fall, so I finally delivered the other night. This salad is just a simple combination of shaved brussels sprouts (or the above mentioned mix), pomegranate seeds, shaved Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, and my every-day dijon vinaigrette. I also think that adding pecans or walnuts would make this salad even more delicious.
Brussels Sprouts, Pomegranate and Parmesan Salad
- 10 ounce bag of Trader Joe's cruciferous crunch collection (or the equivalent amount in shredded kale and brussels sprouts)
- 3/4 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup grated or shaved Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Dijon Vinaigrette (recipe below) to taste
- Freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the vegetables, pomegranate seeds, cheese, and vinaigrette and toss well.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- one part freshly squeezed lemon juice
- one part red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2-3 parts extra virgin olive oil (depending on how you like your dressing)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the lemon juice, vinegar, and dijon mustard and whisk well.
- Add the olive oil and whisk well until emulsified.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.