30 Weeks: Hospital Tour


Wow, 30 weeks!!!! That number sounded so far off just a few months ago, but it's here already and time is flying by, especially with Christmas coming up in just a few weeks

This past week was busy in terms of baby preparation. I went to a Breastfeeding Class (I decided not to turn down the opportunity when I learned that our insurance company covered the cost). The class was surprisingly helpful and the nurse/lactation consultant that taught the class was great at answering questions. I'm sure that breastfeeding will be a challenge, especially in the beginning, but at least I know a few basics and things to look out for.

We also went on a hospital tour last weekend. The first hour or so was spent in a conference room with other couples. Our tour guide (one of the labor and delivery nurses) went through everything from registration to discharge. We had many questions going into the tour, and most of those were answered. For example, everyone will be hooked up to an IV for hydration once admitted, as well as have external fetal monitoring throughout labor. She did say that doctors sometimes make exceptions, so I want to talk to my doctor about having intermittent monitoring so that I can move around more during labor. The good news is that the birthing rooms are beautiful and spacious! After you give birth, you are moved to a semi-private recovery room or a private room (if you pay the difference and if they have rooms available). Overall, we were very impressed with the tour and hospital. The only disappointment was that we saw only 2 babies during our entire tour! The hospital encourages rooming-in, so the nursery was practically empty. One of babies  that we did see in the nursery was crying hysterically as he received his first bath (poor guy).

What's up next? We'll be taking a lamaze/childbirth class in January, as well as an infant CPR class but for now I would REALLY like to get started on the nursery. I've been waiting to layout our Flor Carpet Tiles for weeks now. We had to move all of our terrace furniture into our apartment while they complete repairs on our terrace and some of that furniture is in the nursery. 

And last but not least, I met with another pediatrician this week, so we now need to decide between the two practices that we have met with. It's a difficult decision, because I liked both!

Here's what's happening with Baby Riley this week:

  • Baby Riley is the size of a large cabbage (hopefully not that round)
  • He or she weighs almost 3 pounds and is about 15.7 inches long
  • His or her eyesight is continuing to develop (but right now it is only 20/400 vision, which means that he or she can only make out objects directly in front of him or her).

And what's happening with me:

Weight Gained: We have our next doctor's appointment today, so I'll let you know during the next recap (I'm going to guess 17 pounds).

Favorite Moment: Feeling the baby move ALL NIGHT LONG. I've woken up a few times in the middle of the night lately, and each time I can feel the baby kicking and moving and generally being very active. Brian has told me the same thing on the few occasions that he has woken up in the night. We definitely have a night owl on our hands! (wish us luck)

Workouts: I was at the gym 6 out of 7 days this week doing either circuit training with free weights and the TRX, or doing light cardio for 30-40 minutes. For the most part, exercising really helps me feel energized for the afternoon.

Symptoms: Occasional back pain by the end of the evening and braxton hicks contractions/side pain.

Food Aversions/Cravings: I have realized something awfully sad in the last few weeks (I was in denial before). I almost never finish my coffee in the morning (don't worry, it's decaf). I just don't crave it as much as I used to, and only rarely finish the whole cup. The horror!

Sleep: Unfortunately, I've woken up a few times either in the middle of the night or early in the morning and have had trouble going back to sleep. Last Saturday I was tossing and turning for 3 hours, and finally fell back asleep only a few hours before I had to wake up. It's annoying! 

Looking forward to: Our 31 week appointment with our OB today! (I'm a week behind on these updates).